Bi-weekly snippets and tidbits of Real Estate for you from Realtor® Dan Irish.
Contact DM Irish here for questions and topics you want answered!
The Power of First Impressions
You've heard it before, but you truly do only get one chance to make a great first impression. Buyers know by sight, scent, and sound within the first seven to 10 seconds whether your home will fit the bill. There are way too many other homes out there getting high remarks for a buyer to come back and give your home a second chance. Here are a few quick tips to make sure you're sending the right message on the first attempt:
- Keep lawn, sidewalks, plants, front door paint and door handle in top notch; if the outside looks great, they'll want to see the inside, too!
- Remove the clutter! Buyers need to be able to see past your things to envision themselves in that space
- Keep it light and bright! Open blinds and shades to show off the space and turn on lights in key rooms when showing the home
- Touch-up paint walls and high traffic areas for a crisp, clean look
- Clean, clean, clean! Buyers don't want to move into other people's dirt, so this is key to selling your home and getting a solid offer
- Remove bad odors from stains or pets. I showed a home with a horrible smell and the buyers couldn't get past the scent no matter the look or price of the home.
- Remove extra furniture to clear walkways and make each room appear bigger. Crammed spaces will not be attractive to buyers.
- Finish your maintenance to-do list! No one wants to buy a home with a laundry list of things to fix....unless it's a distressed home sale to start with.